Stroke Signs and Symptoms
Prevent Stroke: What You Can Do
- In 2020, 1 in 6 deaths from cardiovascular disease was due to stroke.1
- Every 40 seconds, someone in the United States has a stroke. Every 3.5 minutes, someone dies of stroke.2
- Every year, more than 795,000 people in the United States have a stroke. About 610,000 of these are first or new strokes.2
- About 185,000 strokes—nearly 1 in 4—are in people who have had a previous stroke.2
- About 87% of all strokes are ischemic strokes, in which blood flow to the brain is blocked.2
- Stroke-related costs in the United States came to nearly $53 billion between 2017 and 2018.2 This total includes the cost of health care services, medicines to treat stroke, and missed days of work.
- Stroke is a leading cause of serious long-term disability.2 Stroke reduces mobility in more than half of stroke survivors age 65 and older.2
About Yoakum Community Hospital
Yoakum Community Hospital, Yoakum, Texas, is a 23-bed, critical access hospital that has been serving area communities since 1922. The hospital provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services, including laboratory, rehabilitation, imaging, emergency, general medicine, wound care, treatment for sleep disorders and surgery.
Yoakum Community Hospital has been serving our community for 100 years. The Yoakum Community Hospital team is dedicated to providing quality care and superior service with compassion, dignity, and respect. Our vision is to be the leader in comprehensive and innovative healthcare close to home.